Friday, July 29, 2011

Rich Dad, Poor Dad...Prick Son


It is impossible these days to listen to the radio for under 2 minutes without hearing an ad for live seminars with Robert Kiyosaki, author of Rich Dad, Poor Dad. It was not the commercials that persuaded me to read his book, it was friends and acquaintances from different walks of life. This is usually a good marker for a good read; having recommendations from personalities with differing interests. You might think that I'm about to rip the book a new one. I assure you I am not. More precisely I'm going to rip Kiyosaki, the man.

After reading success story upon success story mixed with numerous chapters about how brilliant this blowhard was at such a young age, an irritating picture emerges from between the lines. It wasn't his monetary journey that bothered me nor his financial advise. It was his treatment of his biological dad that stuck in my craw. He literally threw his dad under the bus, backed over him and repeated it chapter after chapter.

The proof is in the pudding--title. His bio-dad is the 'Poor Dad'. This lead me to believe that I was about to read a rags to riches/pull myself up by my bootstraps type of story. But in under 50 pages it becomes clear that Kiyosaki's father was middle class. Happy and middle class. However, middle class in the eyes of this future multi-millionaire equals loser. The 'Rich Dad' is actually his close childhood friend's father. This relationship causes strain on the two boys' friendship but Kiyosaki moves on. He's down a bio-dad and a best friend but it's all good when in pursuit of the almighty dollar. The 'Rich Dad' mentors Kiyosaki and he never looks back.

It all comes down to perspective and I am fully aware that my perspective may differ from most. Most see a driven man with focus. The type of self made man that was the stuff of vintage Hollywood movies. Others (like moi) see a greedy bastard who no doubt broke his father's heart all for the love of money. If you think you're reading the blog of a bleeding heart liberal who despises the rich you would be wrong. Amass all you want, just don't burn rubber on your old man's carcass. Here's a quick example to illuminate my point. Robert Kiyosaki tells a story where he offers two buy a couple's home at a tiny fraction of what it is worth. The couple turn down the insult at the outset. Sadly, months down the road the couple accepts the offer in desperation. We, the reader are meant to be impressed with the maverick-like maneuver. {I should point out that this was not Kiyosaki's his first home purchase. He was actually wealthy at the time. This was merely another trophy.}

I challenge you to read this book and tell me that Robert Kiyosaki could not have told his story without painting his father with the 'broken down loser' brush. In fact, I'd wager that 8 out of 10 psycho therapists would say he has some underlying issues with his father and purged those issues onto the pages of his book for all to see. Furthermore, the therapists might ad that his anger toward his father is what drove him; is what made him. A friend of mine attended one of his seminars and the big Kahuna didn't show. Instead an understudy (minion) hosted the event. I have subsequently learned that this is par for the course and it is stated in the fine print that if the the guru himself is not in attendance no money will be refunded. Do you see what a good business man he is?

Robert Kiyosaki has written many books since 'Rich Dad...' including a version for teens. (Oh great, the younger generation who's motto is 'you're not the boss of me' is about to be touched by the hand of Kiyosaki. I would urge all you parents out there to hide your house deeds. )Seeing as Robert Kiyosaki has acquired the writing bug I am calling for him to write one more book. And he should call it "Prick Son...An Ungrateful Little boy's Apology To His Father."

No comments: