Thursday, December 12, 2013

Alert The Media, Kanye West Is Upset!

You cats will never believe this but Kanye West is upset again. But of course he is, it's Grammy season and his latest album is only nominated for two grammies. The audacity, the nerve, clearly this is a conspiratorial witch hunt. West claims, "If I don't win album of the year I'm really gonna have a problem with that." I wonder if he stomped his foot and folded his arms when he said that. Kanye has won 21 grammies out of 53 nominations. I'm sure in Kanye's mind that's nearly 50% which would presuppose that perhaps all 53 grammies should rightfully have gone to him…to be fair. In the lad's ten year-ish career he's lashed out at several award shows, namely the ones that haven't named
him the victor.

Wikipedia tells me that in Greek mythology Narcissus fell in love with his own image when reflected in water. Would it be going out on a limb to conclude that Kanye is a narcissist? Sure why not. But there's more, there's got to be more to the man. In 1984 actress Sally Field went down in history during the Oscars for her quote, "…you like me, you really like me." She took a little heat for the comment but in hindsight it was cute, hell it was damn near adorable when compared to Kanye's need, nay psychopathic obsession with the world loving him. He practically crawls toward society like a dehydrated man dying of thirst in a vast desert crying, "love me, love me, love me…and give me awards and shit."

He once (or perhaps more than once) claimed that he was a god, and his latest album is entitled Yeezus.  We must now add egomaniacal to his list of fun traits. Sure I'm splitting hairs with the egomaniacal vs. the narcissistic but so what, my poetic license ego says its cool to do so.

Some would say Kanye is a genius. They would be wrong. (more on that in about 3 sentences) Nevertheless his fans will continue to put up with his childlike tantrums and toddler-esque outbursts because they love his music. The music industry execs will also 'play along' so long as he's putting money in their coffers. Back to why he's not a genius. First of all the 'genius' word is so over used that the term has lost a sh**load of impact. Knock it off people. Second, can Kanye sit at a piano and silence an amphitheater with beautiful notes? Can he do the same with a violin perhaps? Can he stand with nothing but a microphone and sing A cappella and move us they way Nat King Cole once did? Can he sit down and write a concerto on par with Chopin or Bach? If he could perhaps he would be brushing up against genius' door.

Kanye is a rapper; a producer. He's a man that takes previously recorded music by those that have already created it and re:works it. Is the result pleasurable? To some yes. But genius? Nope, sorry Bub.

Let's wrap/ rap it up shall we?

In order for society to advance in a positive way y'all need to pull back on the overuse of 'genius'. And whether you are fan, friend or foe to a celebrity you need to reach out to them (via twitter, Fb, Instagram etc.) and ask that they stick to the artistic task at hand and keep the dumb-dumb egotistical god complexical comments to themselves. And if you think inventing terms like 'god complexical' as I've done here today is egomaniacal perhaps you're right. But I can't worry about that now as I have a date with my reflecting pool…I just love that pool, she's pure genius!

amazon.com/author/jonathanbrown

No comments: