Thursday, March 20, 2014

Just Play The Game!

I remember walking into a bar some months ago, (as can happen), and looking at the t.v. above the
bartender's head. An NBA player dunked the ball, landed and then celebrated. It was a celebratory dance popular these days with just about every athlete male and female in all sports. The choreographed move entails clenching the fist(s) holding the head still or rocking it back and yelling as loud as possible with mouth as wide as possible. I'm extremely tired of this move as should you be. It is not only overdone it is often used when the achievement has been standard--par for the course. When a 7' basketball player dunks the ball in the first quarter  and engages in this celebration it's childish not to mention commonplace. When an NFL middle line backer does the move 3 games into the season and four minutes into the game the move is premature and superfluous. It is a line backer's job to stuff the run, it's what they're meant to do. We're also seeing it in tennis after every other point…in a 3 hour match! The over the top roar has got to go or at least subside.

When I voiced my near disdain for the exhausted dance the bartender placed a beer in front of me and said, "Don't be a hater dude, I've done it myself a few times."

"When you pour the perfect pint?" I asked with a laugh realizing I'd more or less insulted the man who poured my beer. I smiled to ease the potential build-up of testosterone. Briefly the bartender looked pissed but then backed off and said, "I play a little pick-up b-ball at times and I've been known to get a little emotional. Don't hate dude."

Pick up b-ball? Are you serious? Should I celebrate getting across the street before the walk signal changes? Or should I rock my head back and roar when I find that missing sock in the bottom of the laundry hamper? Of better yet, maybe I should shout from the roof top when the new phone book arrives (a la Steve Martin's The Jerk). At this point I considered teaching this little upstart a lesson. A lesson where the old school--me, teaches the new school--him, what it is to have style, to be chill, to be…cool. But then I remembered that I'm no longer in the business of teaching lessons…with the exception of drum lessons of course. Exactly where does this jazz come from? Why is it that today's athlete pro to novice feel the need to roar-triumphant after feats commonplace and at times average at best?  I suppose confidence is a factor. We're all aware of the latest stats that revealed America's youth is more confident than ever before and not necessarily due to tangible achievements or accolades. Part of the problem--and in defense of today's over celebrator is that we live in a time where we are photographed, video taped and surveilled more than in any other time in history. In other words; over-celebrators know 'the cameras are rolling and I'm going to be a star, build my brand or go viral…by opening my mouth as wide as I can'.

celebration justified!
Let's blast a little further down this trail. Many (not all) parents today are ramming figurative esteem pills way too far down their children's throats. Encouragement is good. Healthy self esteem is also good but the confidence pendulum has swung too far into the overus confidencius. (That's my poetic license-latin there folks) As a result athletes celebrate WAY too often for precious little accomplishment. For example, if a basketball player scores 10 of his team's 109 points should he celebrate every single basket with a gladiator roar? Hell no! The bartender on that day called me a 'hater' but he and dang near everyone else are imitators. They see Lebron James do the celebration dance and then they copy the exact move…on the pick-up b-ball court. It's insanity! You've done nothing of merit dummies. Just play the game.

The rules are as follows: If you win the championship of your sport,  heavyweight title or Olympic gold; go for it, go nuts. If your'e on the pick-up b-ball court or comparable facsimile thereof; knock it off. You're simply a misguided embarrassment of obnoxious slow witted braggadocio. And now that I've successfully use braggadocio in a sentence I must roll my head back, open my mouth wide and roar! AH!!!!!!!!!


1 comment:

Miriam said...

It's the generation that didn't keep score during their little league games and were told that everybody is a winner. That's what we get.
A healthy dose of despair/disappointment/self-loathing forms character! That's what these kids are missing.