Thursday, November 1, 2007

Kids today- Live music today

Being a Cat who teaches private drum lessons I've discovered a big difference between my days of being an up and coming musician and kids today. In my day we all loved the idea of going to a rock concert and if as a kid or teen you were able to play an instrument...like those heroes of ours on stage; then chicks (gals) loved you. Girls were impressed by you. Each high school would have battle of the band contests and the entire school no matter which, attended.
Today the landscape has changed. Kids today download their music and attending concerts is not a huge priority and therefore doesn't happen much. Oh, what a shame. I've asked several students both male and female what their peers think about their talent. A resounding,"not much" seems to be the consensus. Again-shame. And the amount of my students that actually play in bands or jam with friends is too dismal to mention. When I ask about band prospects they look at me the way a deer gazes upon oncoming headlights. This does not bode well for live music. And sadly when I caution my students most don't care...about losing what they know nothing of.
But live music has been in trouble before: anybody remember disco? And live music will survive, for it always has. And just as the night time is a dark time for Will Ferrill's Chaz Michael Michaels, 2007 is a dark year for live music. Get it together kids and swing the live music pendulum back to the stage!

No comments: